"You are what you eat."
So cliche, yet it holds so much truth. The food we consume has a way of reflecting on our physical appearance. It affects our hair, nails and skin! And who doesn't want beautiful skin? Below I have composed a list of the top 10 foods to add to your grocery list now! Top 5 and Top 10 are listed below. I highly recommend organic, as it looses its beautifying properties if it isn't organic.
- Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranates, blackberries, and plums are rich in antioxidants, (blueberry being #1) which protect against premature aging.
- Green tea is a superfood that had an abundance of benefits to your interior as well as your exterior. It's antioxidant property helps cell turnover and reduces sign of aging. A nutrient called epigallocatechin gullet or EGCG helps keep your teeth healthy. Also protects the skin from sun exposure and wrinkles. Hydrates the body.
- Walnuts, almonds, sunflowers, Brazil nuts are among the best nuts.
- Walnuts have Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E which help keep your hair, nails, bones and eyes healthy.
- Rich in calcium, which helps your nails and teeth and great for posture. Yogurt also has protein, and probiotics, the good bacteria that aids digestion and boosts immunity. TIP: Opt for a yogurt with less than 20 grams of sugar and less than 5grams of fat.
- Whole grain buckwheat bread, flaxseed, oatmeal are among the best.
- Whole gran oatmeal contains a number of vitamins and minerals such as folate, which assists cell production and growth. Oatmeal can also reduce your risk of high blood pressure, and type-2 diabetes. Avoid prepackaged oatmeal as it can be loaded with sodium and sugars. Add frozen organic berries to your oatmeal, with almond milk and sweeten with honey.
- Buckwheat works wonders to your cardiovascular system. You can add whole wheats to your smoothies and shakes.
- Dark chocolate is rich in flavanols which protect from sun damage, and keeps skin hydrated.
- Wild salmon, oysters, tuna are among the best.
- Wild salmon is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which aids the skin to keep it moisturized and supple, it also has selenium; a mineral that protects your skin from UV rays.
- Wild salmon also has Vitamin D, which helps keep your bones and teeth strong.
- Oysters have zinc which help in skin cell renewal and repair. Zinc also maintains your hair, nails and eyes lively.
- Full of lutein which help your eyes stay sharp.
- Rich in vitamin B, C, and E, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Rich in lycopene, the antioxidant that fights anti-aging. Better when cooked or processed. cherry tomatoes, canned tomatoes sauce and tomato juice are the best choices.
- Avocados are rich in healthy fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that can improve your skin from the inside.
- Avocados have Vitamin C & E, both great for skin
- Avocados also have antioxidant properties which help protect against environmental damage.
Load up your grocery list with the items mentioned above for skin as beautiful as your soul!